Aside from the well-drilling,
I’ve tried to spend some quiet, positive time outside,
cutting back blackberries to access the ruin
and I’ve also spent a lot of time in the garden.
During Root time I picked some of our radishes.
They are an organic French Breakfast variety,
with a vibrant color, mild flavor and excellent crunch.
We love them dipped in herbed cream cheese.
Then yesterday, during the Leaf time,
I started to harvest the first of our Red Leaf Kale,
another organic variety from seeds brought over from America,
and tons of arugula, grown from organic seeds I got in Austria.
I didn’t have much time in the afternoon after all the harvesting,
but managed to make three batches of garlicky greens before the end of Leaf time:
(sauté two cloves finely chopped garlic, 1/2 cup finely ground nuts
& three huge handfuls~6 cups chopped greens in herb-infused olive oil,
just until wilted. splash with balsamic vinegar & store in glass jar under a layer of olive oil.
a few scoops of this with equal amount grated cheese makes an instant pesto,
also great stirred into soups and stews, and baked in mac & cheese or veggie lasagna).
Although the garden soil, or the rest of the property weren’t organic,
(& the pollution from well-digging definitely didn’t help any)
we are going to do everything that we can organically,
and although we can’t find any organic plants or fruit trees here,
last weekend I found some organic lettuce, spinach & eggplant seeds,
to add to the collection/crop-rotation.
Hopefully, over time, through our biologic practices,
especially mushroom farming, we will be able to purify the land.
(Oyster mushrooms are renown for their ability
to digest & remove petroleum from contaminated soil.
Aside from the spawn we’ve brought over with us,
that we are beginning to spread throughout the yard,
we found a native strain of Oyster mushrooms
fruiting on a cork oak log as we were sawing firewood.
Oysters propagate well from their myceliated stem bases,
so with proper care, we should be able to expand this strain
& spread these fungus throughout the affected areas of our yard.)
So back to the well-drilling:
late on the second day they found water with pressure,
hopefully Spring water, but we will have to get it tested to verify.
So they removed the drill, replaced the drill pipe with pvc pipe,
and capped it over for the weekend.
Today the dowser came back, to see the results of the drillers.
We have spring water, from 105 meters down,
but with only enough pressure to move it 99 meters up towards the surface,
leaving us 6 meters short, and in need of some sort of pump.
This upcoming week, we will research our options and figure out what to do next.
Unfortunately, the well drilling was way more expensive than the estimate,
leaving us with no funds for a pump, or much of anything else, really.
In the meantime, I’ve been trying to rehabilitate our yard. For starters,
I have been putting all the grass clippings over the devastated driveway,
laying them over the sludge and filling in the ruts from the truck tires.
The clippings are full of seeds, to help regrow the mucked up areas.
We still need to scrap the clayish muck away from some of the fruit trees,
and then give them a proper mulching during the upcoming Root time.
And now that it’s switched over to Fruit time, the weather’s been much drier,
so Monday afternoon I did the silicon on the front wall of the bathroom.
And filled in the gaps of the insulation with scrap pieces of foam.
And after I started measuring out the wall for cutting the cork,
(which was challenging with the window frames and angled roof beams),
Mohamed got out the cork and we got to work, and are about half done.
Tomorrow is another day…
And the Winter Solstice!
So once our darkest day is over,
more light will shine,
improving our solar system for the foreseeable future.