three months in
Wednesday was the three month anniversary of life in our new home,
and to celebrate, I started rebuilding the fence,
using bamboo found along the boundary between our properties.
“good fences make good neighbors”
Another day of beautiful weather, so we spent most of the day outside,
first clearing blackberries at the ruin, which has gotten to be more fun.
Along the west façade, there is a knee deep stack of harvested cork,
some pieces that are real gems: hollowed rounds perfect as planters
and long flats for the sidewalk, all destined to landscape around our house.
And now that I can actually work inside the ruin, I feel like an archaeologist,
unearthing bits of wall and roof tiles, all covered in liverwort and mushrooms,
clearing out the old thorny canes, while freeing the honeysuckles for transplanting.
As it turned back to Northern transplanting time, coinciding with Flower time,
we began the transplanting, replanting honeysuckles along the fence infront of the ruin.
We only got about half of the fence completed, so will resume during the next Flower time.
We have spent a lot of time rehabilitating that whole section of the property,
as it got washed out, and muddy and mucky during the well-drilling operation.
So almost daily we spend time flattening the ruts, laying grasses over the mud,
and covering the whole area with a layer of eucalyptus mulch,
which we collect in buckets roadside on our way back
from picking up Marmalade from school each day.
And, I’m pleased to report that after a month and a half of kindergarten,
Marmalade has finally adapted to school.
Before, she would look teary-eyed as I carried her out each day,
but now, she wants to stay and play outside with her friends.
The garden is coming along quite well,
some things had been slow to sprout,
but almost everything is growing fine,
and some, like the onions, radishes and arugula,
are growing beyond imagination.
As Mohamed commented: “the radishes look ravishing!”
Friday was a Leaf day, so I began transplanting
some variegated leafy plants from the ruin
to cork planters in front of the bathroom wall.
And as wild mint gets accidentally uprooted while clearing overgrowth,
that gets transplanted too, into their own cork containers.
Before the end of Transplanting time (about two weeks),
we hope to transplant out all the honeysuckle from inside the ruin,
as well as a small tree/giant shrub that is growing in the center of the main room.
We also need to continue to transplant grass from the garden to our naturkeller roof,
so that the view from the kitchen window will be green,
and so there will be room to plant some red potato “eyes”
once we get through this real cold snap.
Our pond has been filling nicely,
bubbling and gurgling as the levels rise.
There haven’t been any wildlife moving in yet,
aside from the occasional thirsty bird and mating dragonflies,
but perhaps in the Spring we will find some tadpoles to move over.